|December 11, 2012||Posted by admin under Allergy|
A reaction to garlic may be an actual garlic allergy or simply garlic intolerance to it. It doesn’t really matter which, although the allergic reactions tend to get worse as you increase exposure, avoiding garlic is the key to recovery from garlic intolerance or allergy.
The allicin in garlic, produced when you crush the garlic, often causes symptoms on the skin. It may cause the skin to redden or blister but generally some type of skin irritation. When you eat garlic, it has several different reactions. These vary, not just by the amount of exposure but also by the individual.
Some reactions to garlic that indicate either a garlic intolerance or garlic allergy include excessive gas, a rash, migraine headaches, bloating, diarrhea, general malaise and chronic fatigue. In cases where people report their tongue swells, this indicates a serious garlic allergy and the person needs to avoid eating garlic or products with garlic to prevent more dramatic symptoms such as anaphylactic shock.
How can you tell whether you have an allergy or simply intolerance to garlic and does it matter?
Both garlic allergies and intolerance cause discomfort. The garlic allergy, if not monitored carefully can escalate. While garlic intolerance, continues creating the same reactions. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t worry and continue to eat as much garlic in your food as you please. Continuous exposure to substances that cause you to feel ill can also cause damage in the body.
The easiest way to determine whether you have a garlic allergy or simply intolerance is with the use of an allergy test. If you have increasing reactions that include the swelling of your mouth or tongue, it’s highly recommended. Once you discover you have a garlic allergy, you can take steps to prevent further exposure and precautions in the event of accidental exposure and a severe reaction.
Garlic allergies can exacerbate other problems. Breathing in garlic dust may trigger an asthma attack in people susceptible to asthma. Even people that normally don’t have problems with garlic find themselves faced with digestive problems if they eat too much.
It simply makes sense that this potentially helpful medicinal herb, just like any medicine, requires some type of restraint when using it.
While there’s mixed opinion, some people believe that you shouldn’t give household pets onions or garlic. The chemical thiosulphate in both causes damage to the cells causing reactions from mild anemia to potential death from bursting massive amounts of blood cells. Others believe that garlic is particularly good for pets and give it to them daily. Obviously, people’s bodies work differently but the wide variation in belief of the benefits for pets actually makes a point. Pets digest garlic differently even among the same species, just like humans.
Of course the easiest way to prevent both garlic intolerance and a reaction to garlic allergies is avoidance of the offending substance. However, that’s easier said than done since garlic seems to be in everything. Scrutinizing labels for the offending ingredient is important, just as requesting information about the food when you dine in restaurants.
Most people find it better to call ahead and request a garlic free meal before they go out to dinner. Fast food restaurants and chain restaurants normally can’t accommodate since there is no local chef but simply premade foods to heat. In this case, keep your meals simple.
To avoid garlic intolerance,when unsure about the food in a restaurant, request a simple meal. Fresh fruits and vegetables with vinegar and oil you mix at the table are often the fare of choice. Avoid food chains where they make specialty meals, such as Italian foods. Order only foods when you’re positive they contain no garlic. No matter how delicious it looks, it’s better to error on the safe side.